[Gluster-users] Replicated Volume (mirror) on 17 nodes.

Simone Taliercio simonetaliercio at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 06:12:10 UTC 2016

Hi Ravi,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply!

> I don't know what your use case is but I don't think you want to create so many replicas.

I need to scale my application on multiple nodes because we have to
tackle an high number of requests per second. The application is
hosted on AWS EC2 instances and each one uses EBS.
Each instance needs to read some local files. That's why I'm currently
replicating all the files on each instance. So far I had max 3 nodes.

>  Why not just create a glusterfs volume  of replica-2 or replica-3 or even an arbiter volume, and mount them on all 17 nodes?

Here I'm definitely missing some basics (sorry for that): what are the
steps to set-up 3-replicas (+1 arbiter) but still allow all 17 nodes
to retrieve the files ? Are they transferred on demands over the
network ?

So far I followed those steps:
- mount an empty "hard disk" to the instance
- format it in xfs
- create directory for one brick
- add peers
- create 1 volume with "... replica 3 <host1:brick> <host2:brick>...."
- mount the volume on a specific path

And then I can see one file that is created on one machine being
replicated on all the others. I have a limited vision at this use case
:-/

> I think replica 4 is what some people in the community have used at the max but even that is an overkill IMO.

Help :)

Thanks,
Simone