[Gluster-users] Backup data from gluster Brick

Milind Changire mchangir at redhat.com
Thu Feb 18 12:22:16 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: "M S Vishwanath Bhat" <msvbhat at gmail.com>
To: "Kim Jahn" <kim.jahn at makandra.de>
Cc: gluster-users at gluster.org
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2016 3:25:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Gluster-users] Backup data from gluster Brick

On 16 February 2016 at 18:03, Kim Jahn < kim.jahn at makandra.de > wrote:

Hello,

is it safe to create desaster recovery backups from the bricks
filesystem instead of the gluster storage? It would be much faster. Can
there be some data missing or be wrong? I've tried to find an answer to
that in the documentation but couldn't find anything.

When you backup your disk instead of gluster storage, you will have reconstruct the volume again to get the full view of your data. Also the data in bricks maybe incomplete or not correct depending on the type of volume and it's status.

So I would suggest you to use few of the features provided by gluster itself such as geo-rep[1] or snapshot[2]. You can also use the tool glusterfind[3] to list the files which have been changed. You can build your own backup with it.

Hope it helps

Best Regards,
Vishwanath

[1] - https://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Distributed%20Geo%20Replication/
[2] - https://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Managing%20Snapshots/
[3] - https://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/GlusterFS%20Tools/glusterfind/

Cheers
Kim

=====

Moreover, if you care to look at Bareos [1] which has used 'glusterfind'
to integrate glusterfs with the bareos Backup and Recovery application,
you can read about it at [2]

[1] http://www.bareos.org
[2] http://review.gluster.org/13436

--