[Gluster-users] [ovirt-users] ovirt glusterfs performance

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Thu Feb 11 07:55:50 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 2:42 AM, Ravishankar N <ravishankar at redhat.com> wrote:
> +gluster-users
>
> Does disabling 'performance.write-behind' give a better throughput?
>

> On 02/10/2016 11:06 PM, Bill James wrote:
>>
>> I'm setting up a ovirt cluster using glusterfs and noticing not stellar
>> performance.
>> Maybe my setup could use some adjustments?
>>
>> 3 hardware nodes running centos7.2, glusterfs 3.7.6.1, ovirt 3.6.2.6-1.
>> Each node has 8 spindles configured in 1 array which is split using LVM
>> with one logical volume for system and one for gluster.
>> They each have 4 NICs,
>>  NIC1 = ovirtmgmt
>>  NIC2 = gluster

How do you ensure that gluster trafic is using this nic?

>>  NIC3 = VM traffic

How do you ensure that vm trafic is using this nic?

>> I tried with default glusterfs settings

And did you find any difference?

>> and also with:
>> performance.cache-size: 1GB
>> performance.readdir-ahead: on
>> performance.write-behind-window-size: 4MB
>>
>> [root at ovirt3 test scripts]# gluster volume info gv1
>>
>> Volume Name: gv1
>> Type: Replicate
>> Volume ID: 71afc35b-09d7-4384-ab22-57d032a0f1a2
>> Number of Bricks: 1 x 3 = 3
>> Transport-type: tcp
>> Bricks:
>> Brick1: ovirt1-ks.test.j2noc.com:/gluster-store/brick1/gv1
>> Brick2: ovirt2-ks.test.j2noc.com:/gluster-store/brick1/gv1
>> Brick3: ovirt3-ks.test.j2noc.com:/gluster-store/brick1/gv1
>> Options Reconfigured:
>> performance.cache-size: 1GB
>> performance.readdir-ahead: on
>> performance.write-behind-window-size: 4MB
>>

>> Using simple dd test on VM in ovirt:
>>   dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/testfile bs=1G count=1 oflag=direct

block size of 1G?!

Try 1M (our default for storage operations)

>>       1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 65.9337 s, 16.3 MB/s
>>
>> Another VM not in ovirt using nfs:
>>    dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/testfile bs=1G count=1 oflag=direct
>>       1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 27.0079 s, 39.8 MB/s
>>

>> Is that expected or is there a better way to set it up to get better
>> performance?

Adding Niels for advice.

>> This email, its contents and attachments contain information from j2
>> Global, Inc. and/or its affiliates which may be privileged, confidential or
>> otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for
>> the addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure, copy,
>> distribution, or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you
>> have received this email in error please notify the sender by reply e-mail
>> and delete the original message and any copies. (c) 2015 j2 Global, Inc. All
>> rights reserved. eFax, eVoice, Campaigner, FuseMail, KeepItSafe, and Onebox
>> are registered trademarks of j2 Global, Inc. and its affiliates.

Please avoid this, this is a public mailing list, everything you write
here is public.

Nir