[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] GlusterFS FUSE client leaks summary — part I

Raghavendra G raghavendra at gluster.com
Thu Feb 4 08:46:45 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Soumya Koduri <skoduri at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 02/01/2016 01:39 PM, Oleksandr Natalenko wrote:
>
>> Wait. It seems to be my bad.
>>
>> Before unmounting I do drop_caches (2), and glusterfs process CPU usage
>> goes to 100% for a while. I haven't waited for it to drop to 0%, and
>> instead perform unmount. It seems glusterfs is purging inodes and that's
>> why it uses 100% of CPU. I've re-tested it, waiting for CPU usage to
>> become normal, and got no leaks.
>>
>> Will verify this once again and report more.
>>
>> BTW, if that works, how could I limit inode cache for FUSE client? I do
>> not want it to go beyond 1G, for example, even if I have 48G of RAM on
>> my server.
>>

> Its hard-coded for now. For fuse the lru limit (of the inodes which are
> not active) is (32*1024).
> One of the ways to address this (which we were discussing earlier) is to
> have an option to configure inode cache limit.

We cannot set a limit on inode cache in fuse-bridge. As long as kernel is
aware of an inode (through a lookup), fuse-client is _forced_ to keep that
inode in inode table. The reason is we pass the address of inode object as
nodeid to kernel. We cannot send a gfid as nodeid since gfid is 128 bit and
nodeid is 64 bit. This is the reason behind setting an infinite lru limit.
However, this problem is not there for inode table management in server as,
client can communicate with server using 128 bit gfids.

Raghavendra G