[Gluster-users] GlusterFS best practices

Momonth momonth at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 10:53:07 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I've just joined this list as I'm working on a project and looking for
a persistent and shared storage for docker based infra. I'm entirely
new to the GlusterFS project, however have been involved into "storage
business" for quite a while, including proprietary and opensource
solutions.

I've already deployed my first 2 nodes GlusterFS cluster, based on
CentOS 6.8, I must admit it was really easy and everything just works
=) So thumbsup!

I'm now looking for $subj, just not to repeat common mistake a newbie
like me would do. Things like "to use or not to use any RAID configs
on nodes", "bricks capacities vs brick performance", "best network
topologies" etc. Does anyone know a good source of that kind of info?

I'm also curious to know any baseline performances, eg I have a 2
nodes cluster in "replica" mode, each brick is SSD x2 in RAID1 mode.
For the following workload:

100% random, 30% reads / 70% writes, 4KB block size, single thread

I observe ~ 220 read IOPS + ~515 write IOPS, 95th percentile read
latency 1.9 ms, write - 1.9 ms.

Is it OK or not OK? Should I look into optimizing it?

Thanks,
Vladimir