[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] CFP for Gluster Developer Summit

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Aug 22 09:43:12 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 03:48:49PM -0400, Vijay Bellur wrote:
..
> If you have a talk/discussion proposal that can be part of these themes,
> please send out your proposal(s) by replying to this thread. Please clearly
> mention the theme for which your proposal is relevant when you do so. We
> will be ending the CFP by 12 midnight PDT on August 31st, 2016.

I'd like to propose a discussion, mainly to get opinions and ideas of
others about a design I'm thinking of applying for certain features.

Thanks,
Niels

Title:
  Client initiated server-side processing - A.k.a. FOP-Bouncing

storage servers. One of these is server-sode-copy where a client wants
to copy a file from one Gluster volume to an other. It is inefficient to
read the file (transfer) to the client, and then write it to the server
again. It would be nice for a client to send the copy operation to one
of the storage servers and have the storage server take care of the
actual reading+writing of the data.

A possible way to accomplish this, is by using the upcall framework, and
have a special (per server) process listening for specific upcall
events. If a client sends the server-side-copy, the brick receiving it
can create an upcall event that is handled only by a server-side
process to offload the copy.

I might call this design FOP-Bouncing, unless someone comes up with a
more suitable name.