[Gluster-users] memory leak in glusterd 3.7.x

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Sat Aug 20 11:48:34 UTC 2016

hi Zdenek,
        I recently found this issue and there has been a discussion on
gluster-devel about how to fix this. It is a bit involved, so taking more
time than I would like to fix, this bug has been there for almost 3-4 years
I guess.

You can find the discussion here:
http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-July/050085.html

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Zdenek Styblik <zdenek.styblik at showmax.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we've found a memory leak in glusterd v3.7.x(currently at v3.7.14, but
> we are users of v3.7.x from the beginning).
> It seems, we've empirically verified, that continuous execution of %
> glusterd and OOM, although not necessarily OOM of glusterd itself.
> Settings which were being set over and over again are
> `nfs.addr-namelookup false` and `nfs.disable true`. There might have
> been other settings, but I was able to find these in recent logs.
> Unfortunately, we don't have capacity to debug this issue
> further(statedumps are quite overwhelming :] ).
> Repeated execution has been caused due to bug in Puppet module we're
> using(and we were able to address this issue). Therefore, it's safe to
> say that the number of affected users or like hood of somebody else
> having these problem is probably low. It's still a memory leak and,
> well, rather serious one if you happen to stumble upon it. Also, it
> must be noted that this gets amplified if you have more than just
> volume.
>
> If there is anything I can help with, let me know.
>
> Please, keep me on CC as I'm not subscribed to the mailing list.
>
> Best regards,
> Zdenek Styblik

Pranith