[Gluster-users] Clarification on common tasks

Gandalf Corvotempesta gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 13:54:26 UTC 2016

> If you are okay with the mount of new and previous brick to be
> different-
>
> After you mount the new-brick, you will have to run
> gluster v replace-brick <volname> old_brick new_brick commit force.
>
> By doing this you would be adding new brick to the gluster cluster
> and also letting the replicate translator know that
> the brick has been replaced and that it needs to be healed.
>
> Once this is done, self-heal-daemon will start the healing process
> automatically.
>
> If this step is done, you wouldn't have to run step 8 - gluster v start force.
> As replace-brick command takes care of bringing the new brick up.

This seems to be the easier way to replace a failed brick.
But somewhere (i don't remember exaclty where, but on official docs)
i've seen a brick naming convention like this:

/srv/export/sdb1/brick

where "sdb" is inside the mount point. With this naming convention, is
almost impossible to use
the replace brick method, as the new brick would get the older brick's
path. (if I *replace* "sdb", the new disk is still "sdb")

The current "brick naming convention" is differente like mine and the
disk name is not used anymore in the mount point, thus, replace brick
would be ok.