[Gluster-users] Clarification on common tasks

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 11:08:13 UTC 2016

On 11/08/2016 7:13 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
> 1) kill the brick process (how can I ensure which is the brick process
> to kill)?

glusterfsd is the prick status

Also "gluster volume status" lists the pid's of all the bricks processes.

> 2) unmount the brick, in example:
> unmount /dev/sdc
>
> 3) remove the failed disk
>
> 4) insert the new disk
> 5) create an XFS filesystem on the new disk
> 6) mount the new disk where the previous one was

Yes to all that.

> 7) add the new brick to the gluster. How ?

No need. New brick is mounted where the old one was.

> 8) run "gluster v start force".

Yes.

> Why should I need the step 8? If the volume is already started and
> working (remember that I would like to change disk with no downtime,
> thus i can't stop the volume), why should I "start" it again ?

This forces a restart of the glusterfsd process you killed earlier.

Next you do a :

   "gluster heal <VOLUME NAME> full"

That causes the files on the other bricks to be healed to the new brick.

> B) let's assume I would like to add a bounch of new bricks on existing
> servers. Which is the proper procedure to do so?

Different process altogether.

> Ceph has a good documentation page where some common tasks are explained:
> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/add-or-rm-osds/
> i've not found anything similiar in gluster.

That would be good.

--
Lindsay Mathieson