[Gluster-users] Need help to design a data storage

Ashish Pandey aspandey at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 17:57:36 UTC 2016

What about EC? Are redundant data spread across multiple servers? If not, multiple replica would be placed on the same server. I can loose 2 bricks (2 disks) but what if I'll loose the whole server with both bricks on it? And when a server fails, multiple bricks are affected .........

-----

Yes, redundant data spread across multiple servers. In my example I mentioned 6 different nodes each with one brick.
Point is that for 4+2 you can loose any 2 bricks. It could be because of node failure or brick failure.
1 - 6 bricks on 6 different nodes - any 2 nodes may go down - EC win

However if you have only 2 nodes and 3 bricks on each nodes, then yes in this case even if one node goes down, ec will fail because that will cause 3 bricks down.
In this case replica 3 would win.