[Gluster-users] ec heal questions

Ashish Pandey aspandey at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 11:48:20 UTC 2016

Serkan,

Heal for 2 different files could be parallel but not for a single file and different chunks.
I think you are referring your previous mail in which you had to remove one complete disk.

In this case heal starts automatically but it scans through each and every file/dir
to decide if it needs heal or not. No doubt it is more time taking process as compared to index heal.
If the data is 900GB then it might take lot of time.

What configuration to choose depends a lot on your storage requirement, hardware capability and
probability of failure of disk and network.

For example : A small configuration like 4+2 could help you in this scenario. You can have distributed disp volume of 4+2 config.
In this case each sub vol have a comparatively less data. If a brick fails in that sub vol, it will have to heal only that much data and that too from reading 4 bricks only.

dist-disp-vol

subvol-1 subvol-2 subvol-3
4+2 4+2 4+2
4GB 4GB 4GB
^^^
If a brick in this subvol-1 fails, it will be local to this subvol only and will require only 4GB of data to be healed which will require reading from 4 disk only.

I am keeping Pranith in CC to take his input too.

Ashish