[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Gluster + Infiniband + 3.x kernel -> hard crash?

Raghavendra G raghavendra at gluster.com
Fri Apr 29 12:07:24 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 2:02 AM, Glomski, Patrick <
patrick.glomski at corvidtec.com> wrote:

> We run gluster 3.7 in a distributed replicated setup. Infiniband (tcp)
> links the gluster peers together and clients use the ethernet interface.
>
> This setup is stable running CentOS 6.x and using the most recent
> infiniband drivers provided by Mellanox. Uptime was 170 days when we took
> it down to wipe the systems and update to CentOS 7.
>
> When the exact same setup is loaded onto a CentOS 7 machine (minor setup
> differences, but basically the same; setup is handled by ansible), the
> peers will (seemingly randomly) experience a hard crash and need to be
> power-cycled. There is no output on the screen and nothing in the logs.
> After rebooting, the peer reconnects, heals whatever files it missed, and
> everything is happy again. Maximum uptime for any given peer is 20 days.
> Thanks to the replication, clients maintain connectivity, but from a system
> administration perspective it's driving me crazy!
>
> We run other storage servers with the same infiniband and CentOS7 setup
> except that they use NFS instead of gluster. NFS shares are served through
> infiniband to some machines and ethernet to others.
>
> Is it possible that gluster's (and only gluster's) use of the infiniband
> kernel module to send tcp packets to its peers on a 3 kernel is causing the
> system to have a hard crash?

Please note that Gluster is only a "userspace" consumer of infiniband. So,
at least in "theory" it shouldn't result in kernel panic. However
infiniband also allows userspace programs to do somethings which can be
done only by kernel (like pinning pages to a specific address). I am not
very familiar with internals of infiniband and hence cannot authoritatively
comment on whether kernel panic is possible/impossible. Some one with an
understanding of infiniband internals would be in a better position to
comment on this.

Pretty specific problem and it doesn't make much sense to me, but that's
> sure where the evidence seems to point.
>
> Anyone running CentOS 7 gluster arrays with infiniband out there to
> confirm that it works fine for them? Gluster devs care to chime in with a
> better theory? I'd love for this random crashing to stop.
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick

Raghavendra G