[Gluster-users] Performance tuning: How do I measure the performance of IMAP-on-Gluster?

Ernie Dunbar maillist at lightspeed.ca
Thu Apr 21 20:10:56 UTC 2016

Hi everyone.

My Gluster cluster is finally behaving fairly well, CPU, disk and
network performance has returned to a stable state, and I'd like to
start doing some performance tuning. To do that though, we need to have
some metrics to see if the changes we make, are making any difference at
all.

The basic problem I'm trying to solve is how slow IMAP and Webmail are
on our high-availability cluster. All of our e-mail is stored in Maildir
format on the Gluster drive, and as a result, using Webmail to "read the
back to a file that's been read recently and should be cached. I'm not
entirely sure how to measure that with the `time` command on the Unix
command line in any consistent manner, and other commands (like `ls` or
`cat` or `du`) do work a lot faster if repeated within a short period of
time. It appears to be the case that producing consistent results
(especially the results that matter the most to the customers) basically
requires an IMAP connection to read a message.

I need some other ideas about how I can perform this test. Your help
will be much appreciated.