[Gluster-users] Kudos to All

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 23:07:50 UTC 2016

On 18/04/2016 4:09 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
> Since you are probably the first user who is putting sharding in
> production, you may be the first person to run into some issues which
> noone faced till now.

Eeep! Now I feel nervous :)

Actually I think Kevin Lemonnier is using sharding with 3.7.6

> We want to make sure all your questions/problems are addressed.

Thanks! we're on day two with no problems so far, I moved another VM to
the volume.

I also killed the gluster processes on one node to simulate a node
failure. VM's continued running without a hitch, no one noticed. Kept it
that way for a few minutes, heal count got up to 400 64MB shards before
I restarted the services. The heal process took around 16 minutes which
was very pleasing. iowaits stayed below 5%.

One of the things I will be doing is stopping the volume over the
weekend and running a compare file between the nodes for a consistency
check. What I do on each node is:

1. md5deep <brick path>/.shard > md5sum.txt
2. cat md5sum|sort > md5sum.txt.sorted
3. md5sum md5sum.txt.sorted > brick.md5sum
4. Compare brick.md5sum accross the nodes, should be identical.

md5deep generates md5sums for all the files in a directory, then I sort
the result as they aren't necessarily in the same order across nodes.
Unfortunately it does take a very long time to run :( If you know of a
faster way to compare 810GB of data that would be great :)

Cheers,

--
Lindsay Mathieson