[Gluster-users] Multiple volumes on the same disk

Gmail b.s.mikhael at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 03:35:59 UTC 2016

I’ve tried more than one volume on the same Zpool, but with separate ZFS share for every volume. I didn’t find any performance issues compared to XFS on LVM.

PS: ZFS by default stores the extended attributes in a hidden directory instead of extending the file inode size like what XFS do!

There is a problem in ZFS on Linux implementation which the function responsible for deleting the files, it deletes only the files and forgets to delete the hidden directory which stores the extended attributes, and there seem no interest from ZFS on Linux community to fix this bug, it’s filed since 2013.

There is an option to change this to write the extended attributes to the inode instead of a hidden directory.

# zfs set xattr=sa <POOL_NAME>
# zfs set acltype=posixacl <POOL_NAME>

— Bishoy