[Gluster-users] How accurate is heal statistics heal-count?

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 19:32:40 UTC 2016

On 18/04/2016 12:23 AM, Krutika Dhananjay wrote:
> I just checked the code. All `statistics heal-count` does is to count
> the number of indices (in other words the number of files to be
> healed) present per brick in the .glusterfs/indices/xattrop directory
> - which is where we hold empty files representing inodes that need
> heal - and prints them. I even tested it on my local setup, in terms
> of creating a few thousand files and writing data into them while a
> brick is down and then executing the command after bringing the brick
> back up periodically. It worked for me.
>
> `heal info` also reads individual indices in the same directory, but
> it takes locks to confirm they need heal by examining the pending xattrs.
>
> Could you describe how you ran into this issue?

Just ran the cluster, as per my later email "Continual heals happening
on cluster". I've:

- shutdown the VM's
- waited until all heals completed
- restarted the VM'a
- heal info immediately starts showing an every changing list of shards
being healed on all three nodes.
- heal statistics heal-count shows nothing

Something I've just noticed. I have 3 nodes, vnb, vng, vna. The heal
info on vng & vna shows shards being healed. but heal info on *vnb*
shows nothing.

when I looked at indices directory on all three nodes there:
- is a xattrop dir which contains one 0 length file which never changes,
different name on all three nodes
- is a dirty dir which contains an ever changing list of 0 byte files

--
Lindsay Mathieson