[Gluster-users] Gluster + Infiniband + 3.x kernel -> hard crash?

Glomski, Patrick patrick.glomski at corvidtec.com
Wed Apr 6 20:32:40 UTC 2016

We run gluster 3.7 in a distributed replicated setup. Infiniband (tcp)
links the gluster peers together and clients use the ethernet interface.

This setup is stable running CentOS 6.x and using the most recent
infiniband drivers provided by Mellanox. Uptime was 170 days when we took
it down to wipe the systems and update to CentOS 7.

When the exact same setup is loaded onto a CentOS 7 machine (minor setup
differences, but basically the same; setup is handled by ansible), the
peers will (seemingly randomly) experience a hard crash and need to be
power-cycled. There is no output on the screen and nothing in the logs.
After rebooting, the peer reconnects, heals whatever files it missed, and
everything is happy again. Maximum uptime for any given peer is 20 days.
Thanks to the replication, clients maintain connectivity, but from a system
administration perspective it's driving me crazy!

We run other storage servers with the same infiniband and CentOS7 setup
except that they use NFS instead of gluster. NFS shares are served through
infiniband to some machines and ethernet to others.

Is it possible that gluster's (and only gluster's) use of the infiniband
kernel module to send tcp packets to its peers on a 3 kernel is causing the
system to have a hard crash? Pretty specific problem and it doesn't make
much sense to me, but that's sure where the evidence seems to point.

Anyone running CentOS 7 gluster arrays with infiniband out there to confirm
that it works fine for them? Gluster devs care to chime in with a better
theory? I'd love for this random crashing to stop.

Thanks,
Patrick