[Gluster-users] Is this viable / useful / silly

Sean Delaney sdelaney at cp.dias.ie
Tue Apr 5 12:53:23 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm considering using my cluster's local scratch SSDs as a shared
filesystem. I'd like to be able to start glusterfs on a few nodes (say 16),
run a HPC job on those same nodes (reading/writing on glusterfs), copy the
final result off to the panasas storage, and shut down glusterfs until next
time.

I'm interested in this because my workload has shown strong performance on
the SSDs, which I'd like to scale out a little.

Ultimately, I might be interested in setting up a tiered glusterfs using
the SSDs as the hot tier. Again, the ability to bring the filesystem up and
down easily would be of interest.

Example cluster: 32 nodes, 1.5 TB SSD (xfs) per node, separate HDD for OS,
panasas storage.

Thanks