[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Gluster Brick Offline after reboot!!

ABHISHEK PALIWAL abhishpaliwal at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 10:05:38 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Atin Mukherjee <amukherj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/05/2016 01:04 PM, ABHISHEK PALIWAL wrote:
> > Hi Team,
> >
> > We are using Gluster 3.7.6 and facing one problem in which brick is not
> > comming online after restart the board.
> >
> > To understand our setup, please look the following steps:
> > 1. We have two boards A and B on which Gluster volume is running in
> > replicated mode having one brick on each board.
> > 2. Gluster mount point is present on the Board A which is sharable
> > between number of processes.
> > 3. Till now our volume is in sync and everthing is working fine.
> > 4. Now we have test case in which we'll stop the glusterd, reboot the
> > Board B and when this board comes up, starts the glusterd again on it.
> > 5. We repeated Steps 4 multiple times to check the reliability of system.
> > 6. After the Step 4, sometimes system comes in working state (i.e. in
> > sync) but sometime we faces that brick of Board B is present in
> >     “gluster volume status” command but not be online even waiting for
> > more than a minute.
> As I mentioned in another email thread until and unless the log shows
> the evidence that there was a reboot nothing can be concluded. The last
> log what you shared with us few days back didn't give any indication
> that brick process wasn't running.

How can we identify that the brick process is running in brick logs?

> > 7. When the Step 4 is executing at the same time on Board A some
> > processes are started accessing the files from the Gluster mount point.
> >
> > As a solution to make this brick online, we found some existing issues
> > in gluster mailing list giving suggestion to use “gluster volume start
> > <vol_name> force” to make the brick 'offline' to 'online'.
> >
> > If we use “gluster volume start <vol_name> force” command. It will kill
> > the existing volume process and started the new process then what will
> > happen if other processes are accessing the same volume at the time when
> > volume process is killed by this command internally. Will it impact any
> > failure on these processes?
> This is not true, volume start force will start the brick processes only
> if they are not running. Running brick processes will not be interrupted.

we have tried and check the pid of process before force start and after
force start.
the pid has been changed after force start.

Please find the logs at the time of failure attached once again with
log-level=debug.

if you can give me the exact line where you are able to find out that the
brick process
is running in brick log file please give me the line number of that file.

002500 - Board B that brick is offline
00300 - Board A logs