[Gluster-users] RAID vs bare drive for bricks

Gluster Admin gluster at hepcat.org
Wed Sep 23 15:48:46 UTC 2015

So in most of the documentation I read from both redhat and gluster.org it
seems to reference using RAID on the servers for the bricks.  This is a
nice failsafe but obviously has reduced capacity repurcussions as you
continue to scale with nodes and bricks.

With Gluster 3.7+ is it still recommended to use hardware RAID for the
underlying disks of the bricks or especially in the case of Replica-3 would
it be better to have individual drives as bricks?

In the scenario of many servers and bricks lets say 12 servers with 12
drives each that would yield a scenario where 3 servers would have a copy
of the data on each brick and assuming a multi rack layout would lead to a
fairly distributed fault domain.

Am I missing something here?  I can see hardware raid for smaller
implementations of a few servers but it seems counterproductive for larger
distributed-replicated setups

thanks