[Gluster-users] Waiting for glusterfs up and running

Marco marco.brignoli at marcobaldo.ch
Tue Sep 22 07:51:34 UTC 2015

Hello.

I have a system with several VMs, two used as glusterfs servers. If I
restart the whole system, as the VMs with the glusterfs volumes are
quite slow to boot, I have a problem with other VMs that are coming up
faster than the glusterfs VMs. In the client VMs the automounter hangs
as it is started before that the glusterfs volumes are 100% up and running.

This my auto.direct file:

/storage
-fstype=glusterfs,defaults,_netdev,backupvolfile-server=glusterfs2
:glusterfs1:volume1

And the error message is

#> ls /storage
ls: cannot open directory /storage: File o directory not existing

# glusterfs --version
glusterfs 3.5.2 built on *bleep*
Repository revision: git://git.gluster.com/glusterfs.git
Copyright (c) 2006-2013 Red Hat, Inc. <http://www.redhat.com/>
GlusterFS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
It is licensed to you under your choice of the GNU Lesser
General Public License, version 3 or any later version (LGPLv3
or later), or the GNU General Public License, version 2 (GPLv2),
in all cases as published by the Free Software Foundation.

By restarting the automounter, after that the glusterfs is
up-and-running, the problem disappears as expected.

May I ask if there is any way to solve this issue with the automounter
or if I have to create a script that is waiting the volumes (and which
is the recommended way?)?

Tnx and have a nice day

Marco