[Gluster-users] question about how to handle bugs filed against End-Of-Life versions of glusterfs

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Tue Sep 22 05:58:48 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-16 06:05, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> The main difference is whether existing bugs are reassigned or simply
> closed.

Speaking as a user (and not a developer), little is more annoying than
encountering a bug, spending time to research, reproduce and document a
bug experienced in the current version, only to have it closed as
DONTCARE and NOBODYLOOKED at a later date.

I know that that isn't the intent here, and bugs against old versions
often get fixed as code is updated and re-factored, and as such, bug
reports often don't age well.

Most open source projects aren't too bad, there are some that make it
clear that only developer time is respected and no other contributions
are valued, when the reality is that open source has the same need of
QA, documentation and other time contributions that commercial software
requires. At the same time, I understand what it can feel like to have a
mountain of mostly-useless bugs that don't even apply to the current
codebase, so there isn't any easy solution.

So while I don't have a specific suggestion, I might encourage at least
a cursory review of the bugs to determine which might still apply vs
which are in code that was significantly refactored or otherwise likely
resolved.

(In all cases, bugs logged against versions which are out of support can
definitely be closed immediately, if not blocked entirely)

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/