[Gluster-users] autosnap feature?

Alastair Neil ajneil.tech at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 14:00:53 UTC 2015

Not really.  this is useful  as it distributes the snapshot control over
all the cluster members,  I am  looking for the ability to specify a
snapshot schedule like this :

frequent     snapshots every 15 mins, keeping 4 snapshots
hourly     snapshots every hour, keeping 24 snapshots
daily     snapshots every day, keeping 31 snapshots
weekly     snapshots every week, keeping 7 snapshots
monthly     snapshots every month, keeping 12 snapshots.

Clearly this could be handled via the scheduling as described,  but the
feature that is missing is user friendly labeling so that users don't have
to parse long time-stamps in the snapshot name to figure out what is the
most recent snapshot.  Ideally they could have labels like "Now", "Fifteen
Minutes Ago",  "Thirty Minutes Ago", "Sunday", "Last Week" etc.  The system
should handle rotating the labels automatically, when necessary.  So some
sort of ability to create and manipulate labels on snapshots and then
expose them as links in the .snaps directory would probably be a start.

-Alastair