[Gluster-users] Very slow roaming profiles on top of glusterfs

Diego Remolina dijuremo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 13:26:17 UTC 2015

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply, I was aware of the performance issues with small
files, but never expected an order of magnitude slower. I understand
some improvements were made to 3.7.x to help with low small file
performance, however I did not see any big changes after upgrading
from 3.6.x to 3.7.x.

http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/Feature_Smallfile_Perf

And the ssd metadata support feature seems to have not had any changes
since September 2014:

https://forge.gluster.org/gluster-meta-data-on-ssd

Am I just totally out of luck with gluster for now?

Diego

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 8:37 AM, Alex Crow <acrow at integrafin.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 7:42 PM, Diego Remolina <dijuremo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running two glusterfs servers as replicas. I have a 3rd server
>>> which provides quorum. Since gluster was introduced, we have had an
>>> issue where windows roaming profiles are extremely slow. The initial
>>> setup was done on 3.6.x and since 3.7.x has small file performance
>>> improvements, I upgraded to 3.7.3, but that has not helped.
>>>
>>> It seems that for some reason gluster is very slow when dealing with
>>> lots of small files. I am not sure how to really troubleshoot this via
>>> samba, but I have come up with other tests that produce rather
>>> disconcerting results as shown below.
>>>
>>> If I run directly on the brick:
>>> [root at ysmha01 /]# time ( find
>>> /bricks/hdds/brick/home/jgibbs/.winprofile.V2 -type f > /dev/null )
>>> real 0m3.683s
>>> user 0m0.042s
>>> sys 0m0.154s
>>>
>>> Now running on the gluster volume mounted via fuse:
>>> [root at ysmha01 /]# mount | grep export
>>> 10.0.1.6:/export on /export type fuse.glusterfs
>>> (rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,max_read=131072)
>>>
>>> [root at ysmha01 /]# time ( find /export/home/jgibbs/.winprofile.V2 -type
>>> f > /dev/null )
>>> real 0m57.812s
>>> user 0m0.118s
>>> sys 0m0.374s
>>>
>>> In general, the time to run the command on this particular user can be
>>> up to 2 minutes. If I run the command on the brick first, then it
>>> seems the time to run on the mounted gluster volume is lower like in
>>> the example above. I assume some caching in preserved.
>>>
>>> This particular user has 13,216 files in his roaming profile, which
>>> adds up to about 452MB of data.
>>>
>>> The server performance over samba for copying big files (both read and
>>> write) is great, I can almost max out the gigabit connections on the
>>> desktops.
>>>
>>> Reading from samba share on the server and writing to local drive:
>>> 111MB/s (Copying a 650MB iso file)
>>> Reading from local drive and writing to server samba share: 94MB/s
>>> (Copying a 3.2GB ISO file)
>>>
>>> The servers are connected to the network with 10Gbit adapters and also
>>> use separate adapters; one 10 Gbit adapter is used for services, and
>>> other for the backend storage communication.
>>>
>>> The servers have hardware raid controllers and the samba shares are on
>>> top of an Areca ARC-1882 controller, with a volume made out of 12 2TB
>>> drives in raid 6.
>>>
>>> If you can provide any steps to better troubleshoot this problem and
>>> fix the issue, I will really appreciate it.
>>>
>>> Diego
>>>
>>> Further details about the machines below:
>>>
>>> [root at ysmha01 /]# cat /etc/redhat-release
>>> CentOS Linux release 7.1.1503 (Core)
>>>
>>> [root at ysmha01 /]# gluster volume info export
>>> Volume Name: export
>>> Type: Replicate
>>> Volume ID: b4353b3f-6ef6-4813-819a-8e85e5a95cff
>>> performance.io-thread-count: 64
>>> nfs.disable: on
>>> cluster.server-quorum-type: server
>>> performance.cache-size: 1024MB