[Gluster-users] export volume from host with no brick?

Cooper Clauson ceclauson at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 6 00:26:12 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm starting out with glusterfs, really liking it, it's really great!

I have a question--is there any way for a host to appear to export a volume which is available on the network, even though that host does not have a brick associated with that volume?

To explain further, I have a number of hosts that are part of a cluster, I would like them all to appear to export the same services (i.e., the glusterfs volume), however on a hardware level only some of them are equipped with drives that are part of the volume.  So host A has a brick, host B has a brick, but host C does not.  Of the three commands:

mount -t glusterfs A:/Volume /mnt/mntpoint
mount -t glusterfs B:/Volume /mnt/mntpoint
mount -t glusterfs C:/Volume /mnt/mntpoint

The first two will succeed, the third will fail.  Is there any way to get the third to succeed, short of buying an additional hard disk for host C and adding it to the volume?  Is there a "workaround solution" that might involve adding an empty brick?

Thanks so much,
C. Clauson