[Gluster-users] gluster volume snap shot - basic questions

Rajesh Joseph rjoseph at redhat.com
Wed Sep 2 12:11:07 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

These snapshots are copy-on-write (COW) therefore they hardly consume any space.
As your main volume change the space consumption of the snapshots also grow.
Check the "lvs" command to see the actual snapshot space consumption.

You can get more detailed information if you search for thinly provisioned LVM and snapshots.

> 2. The name of the snapshot folder is the UUID, My plan is to do a "tar cf"
> on the snapshot and even incremental tars. Therefore I would need the name
> of the folder. How could I pass that name to my bash script in order to
> make a backup of the last snap?

Instead of taking per brick backup you can think of taking backup of the entire snapshot
volume. You can mount the snapshot volume and perform the backup. Use the following command
to mount snapshot volume:
mount -t glusterfs <hostname>:/snaps/<snap-name>/<origin-volname> /<mount_point>

or else if you want to find the name of the snapshot volume (UUID) then run the
following command
gluster snapshot info

> 3. A tar process will take hours on the million files I have. I understand
> this is a snapshot, is there a way to backup a "single" snapshot file
> instead?

Snapshot is maintained in the underlying file-system and I see no way of transferring
it to another system.