[Gluster-users] Can I create a gluster volume from NFS mounted partitions?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Fri Nov 27 17:42:00 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 05:25:32PM +0000, Mountrakis, Michael wrote:
> Hi team
>
> I have a special case here: I am trying to create a glusterFS volume from NFS mounts offered by third party.
> But it fails. The long story has as follows:
>
> I have two 50 GB NFS volumes offered from two data centres:
> In DC1:
> sbox1.mydomain:/q_files
> IN DC2:
> sbox2.mydomain:/q_files
>
> I dont have even ssh access to those sboxes so I cannot install or do anything, but I am allowed to mount their directories with r/w over tcp.
>
> I have setup  a pair of VM nodes running glusterFs. One node on DC1, one on DC2.
> On each of MY nodes, I mount the offered NFS partitions:
>
> The node in DC1  mybox1.mydomain.corp mounts the partition from DC1 machine:
> mount -t nfs sbox1.mydomain:/q_files   /nfs
>
> The node in DC2 mybox2.mydomain.corp mounts the partition from DC2 machine:
> mount -t nfs sbox2.mydomain:/q_files   /nfs
>
> I do the peering normally...
> root@ mybox1:~ # gluster peer probe mybox2.mydomain
> peer probe: success. Host mybox2.mydomain port 24007 already in peer list
>
> ok so far - no problem.
>
> Then I try to create a glusterFS volume from those mounts:
> root@ mybox1:~ # gluster volume create mynfs replica 2 mybox1.mydomain:/nfs mybox2.mydomain:/nfs force
> volume create: contentstore_nfs: failed: Glusterfs is not supported on brick: mybox1.mydomain:/nfs.
> Setting extended attributes failed, reason: Operation not supported.
>
> I get this message: Operation not supported.
>
> The question is obvious:
> Does GlusterFS supports such an operation? In other words, can I create a glusterFS volume from bricks created from NFS mounts?
> If it is feasible, can you please specify what am I doing wrong?

Gluster requires support for extended attributes on the filesystem. NFS
does not support this (yet). At the moment, it is not possible to use
NFS exports as Gluster bricks.

Once the NFS specification for supporting extended attributes is in
place, NFS-clients and NFS-servers need to start implementing this. Only
after that, it will be possible to use NFS mountpoints as Gluster
bricks. see https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs-01 for
more technical details on the (current in draft) specification.

HTH,
Niels