[Gluster-users] Can I create a gluster volume from NFS mounted partitions?

Mountrakis, Michael michael.mountrakis at sap.com
Fri Nov 27 17:25:32 UTC 2015

Hi team

I have a special case here: I am trying to create a glusterFS volume from NFS mounts offered by third party.
But it fails. The long story has as follows:

I have two 50 GB NFS volumes offered from two data centres:
In DC1:
sbox1.mydomain:/q_files
IN DC2:
sbox2.mydomain:/q_files

I dont have even ssh access to those sboxes so I cannot install or do anything, but I am allowed to mount their directories with r/w over tcp.

I have setup  a pair of VM nodes running glusterFs. One node on DC1, one on DC2.
On each of MY nodes, I mount the offered NFS partitions:

The node in DC1  mybox1.mydomain.corp mounts the partition from DC1 machine:
mount -t nfs sbox1.mydomain:/q_files   /nfs

The node in DC2 mybox2.mydomain.corp mounts the partition from DC2 machine:
mount -t nfs sbox2.mydomain:/q_files   /nfs

I do the peering normally...
root@ mybox1:~ # gluster peer probe mybox2.mydomain
peer probe: success. Host mybox2.mydomain port 24007 already in peer list

ok so far - no problem.

Then I try to create a glusterFS volume from those mounts:
root@ mybox1:~ # gluster volume create mynfs replica 2 mybox1.mydomain:/nfs mybox2.mydomain:/nfs force
volume create: contentstore_nfs: failed: Glusterfs is not supported on brick: mybox1.mydomain:/nfs.
Setting extended attributes failed, reason: Operation not supported.

I get this message: Operation not supported.

The question is obvious:
Does GlusterFS supports such an operation? In other words, can I create a glusterFS volume from bricks created from NFS mounts?
If it is feasible, can you please specify what am I doing wrong?

Best Regards
mike