[Gluster-users] reclaiming discarded blocks on thin volumes

Prasun Gera prasun.gera at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 21:34:03 UTC 2015

I had converted some of my bricks to thin volumes in for using the snapshot
feature in the future. Nagios reported that one of the bricks was almost
full. It turns out that thin volumes don't reclaim deleted blocks
automatically. df and lvs outputs were different. I had to run fstrim
manually to reclaim it. I'm surprised that this isn't mentioned clearly in
the documentation. Nagios saved me a lot of hassle, which I probably won't
have noticed on my own since df reported plenty of space as available. How
do I automate it ? I read about some of the discard options, but wasn't
very sure. Or is adding a cronjob to do fstrim a better idea ?