[Gluster-users] Question on HA Active-Active Ganesha setup

Surya K Ghatty ghatty at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 9 19:15:30 UTC 2015

Hi Soumya, Avra,

The gluster_shared_storage volume has not be created, and there is no
shared_storage directory that has been created. The gluster peer status
shows the two nodes (gluster1, and gluster2) are up and running. Also,
restarting the glusterd on either machines did not make any difference.

I used to have a three node setup (gluster3, in addition to the above
setup), and I detached one of them uninstalled gluster on it. jiffin and
kkeithley_ pointed on ganesha irc channel,  "I think it didn't work because
it wants three nodes/bricks to make a "replica 3" volume"

I cleaned up glusterd on the remaining machines by stopping the glusterd,
deleting /var/run/gluster/* and then restarted glusterd on both machines.
It is at this point that the cluster.enable-shared-storage seemed to work.

>Has the "gluster_shared_storage" volume creation itself failed? Verify
>in 'gluster volume info'.
>Also check if the gluster nodes are in healthy state 'gluster peer
>status'. Try restarting 'glusterd' service on both the nodes.

My observation:
1. I would expect the script to return unsuccessful if the creation of
gluster_shared_volume or shared directory fails.  The command currently
returns successful message.
2. The command should display an appropriate error message indicating what
went wrong. Instead, there is no indication either in the logs or on the
console that something failed.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Surya Ghatty

"This too shall pass"

Surya Ghatty | Software Engineer | IBM Cloud Infrastructure Services
Development | tel: (507) 316-0559 | ghatty at us.ibm.com