[Gluster-users] Getting the best performance v lowest energy use and small form factor

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 23:16:37 UTC 2015

On 4 November 2015 at 08:39, Thing <thing.thing at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks but, your solution doesnt protect for a single PC hardware failure
> like a PSU blowing ie giving me real time replication to the 2nd site so I
> can be back up in minutes.

ZFS can be configured to replicate every few minutes - whether that is
sufficient is dependant on your uptime and data loss requirements.

If you *must* have realtime redundancy then yes something like gluster or
ceph is your only option. Gluster is easier to setup and maintain then
ceph. Both of them are a lot more reliable if you have three nodes, two
nodes is asking for trouble - split brain etc.

If you want some throughput estimates then we need more spec's:

- RAM
- CPU
- Hard Disks
- Network
- Overall Config
  * Caching
  * Bonding
  * etc

- With a std 1GB ethernet, your writes will max out at around 110 MB/s
- Same for Reads, unless your VM Host is also your gluster node, in which
case your reads will be a bit slower than your underlying file system
access times

--
Lindsay