[Gluster-users] Geo-Replication - Changelog socket is not present - Falling back to xsync

PEPONNET, Cyril N (Cyril) cyril.peponnet at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu May 28 15:54:54 UTC 2015

Hi Kotresh,

Inline.

Again, thank for you time.

--
Cyril Peponnet

> On May 27, 2015, at 10:47 PM, Kotresh Hiremath Ravishankar <khiremat at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Cyril,
>
> Replies inline.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Kotresh H R

I started it again to transfert missing files Ill take of gfid missmatch afterward. Our vol is almost 5TB and it took almost 2 month to crawl to the slave I did’nt want to start over :/

>  NOTE 2: Another method exists now to initiate a full sync. It also expects slave
>          files should not be in gfid mismatch state (meaning, slave volume should not
>          written by any other means other than geo-replication). The method is to
>          reset stime on all the bricks of master.
>

>          Following are the steps to trigger full sync!!!. Let me know if any comments/doubts.
>          ================================================
>          1. Stop geo-replication
>          2. Remove stime extended attribute all the master brick root using following command.
>             setfattr -x trusted.glusterfs.<MASTER_VOL_UUID>.<SLAVE_VOL_UUID>.stime <brick-root>
>            NOTE: 1. If AFR is setup, do this for all replicated set
>
>                  2. Above mentioned stime key can be got as follows:
>                     Using 'gluster volume info <mastervol>', get all brick paths and dump all the
>                     extended attributes, using 'getfattr -d -m . -e hex <brick-path>', which will
>                     dump stime key which should be removed.
>
>                  3. The technique, re-triggers complete sync. It involves complete xsync crawl.
>                     If there are rename issues, it might hit the rsync error on complete re-sync as well.
>                     So it is recommended, if the problematic files on slaves are known, remove them and initiate
>                     complete sync.

Is complete sync will send again the data if present of not ? How to track down rename issue ? master is a living volume with lot of creation / rename / deletion.

>          3. Start geo-replicatoin.
>
>          The above technique can also be used to trigger data sync only on one particular brick.
>          Just removing stime extended attribute only on brick root of master to be synced will
>          do. If AFR is setup, remove stime on all replicated set of bricks.
>
>          ================================
>

>> So for now it’s still in hybrid crawl process.
>>
>> I end up with that because some entire folder where not synced up by the
>> first hybrid crawl (and touch does nothing afterward in changelog). In fact
>> touch anyfile doesnt trigger any resync, only delete/rename/change do.
>>

>      In newer geo-replication, from the version history crawl is introduced, xsync
>  crawl is minimized. Once it reaches the timestamp where it gets the historical changelogs,
>  it starts using history changelogs. Touch will be recorded as SETATTR in Changelog so
>  Geo-rep will not sync the data. So the new virtual setattr interface is introduced
>  which is mentioned in previous mail.
>
>> 1/
>>> 1. Directories:
>>>     #setfattr -n glusterfs.geo-rep.trigger-sync -v "1" <DIR>
>>> 2. Files:
>>>     #setfattr -n glusterfs.geo-rep.trigger-sync -v “1" <file-path>
>>
>> Is is recursive ? (for directories) or I have to do that on each mismatching
>> files ? Should I do that on master or slave ?
>>

>  No, it is not recursive, it should be done for every missing files and directories.
>  And directories should be done before the files inside it.
>  It should be done on master.

I don’t understand the difference between setfattr -n glusterfs.geo-rep.trigger-sync -v “1” <DIR> (vol level) and setfattr -x trusted.glusterfs.<MASTER_VOL_UUID>.<SLAVE_VOL_UUID>.stime <brick-root> (brick level)

>> 2/ For the RO I can pass the Option: nfs.volume-access to read-only, this
>> will pass the vol in RO for nfs mount and glusterfs mount. Correct ?
>>
>  Yes, that should do.

Cool ! Thanks!