[Gluster-users] Backup tool / Multiple streams / Distributed volume / Spreading

Florent Delvaille florent.delvaille at gmail.com
Tue May 26 14:27:23 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I'm facing a weird issue with GlusterFS used as a Distributed volume to
store our backup files. Let me detail it:

We are using Netbackup as a backup solution in our company.
This is made of 1 server managing all backups coming from different clients.
Backups are all done on disk (and then duplicated on tapes).

So, the server is a Linux server, having 1 Gluster share /adv_disk01.
This share, actually a Gluster Distributed volume, is made of 20 bricks of
2TB, coming from our SAN box.

Now, lets come to the issue …
Every policy we start (let say Oracle backup, File backup, NAS backup),
seems to be correctly spread between the bricks (3 policies running = 3
bricks 100% used … make sense). So, all good.

But there is a possibility to use multiple streams for the same backup
policy.
For example, you could backup 1 Oracle DB, but over 8 streams (so 8 jobs …
and basically 8 files). Same for MsSQL and so on.

But, 8 streams (so 8 files), do not actually mean 8 bricks used … while it
definitively should be the case.
Here is how the filename is looking:
/SPR-SQL13.MSSQL7.SPR-SQL13.db.DWH_PENSION.~.7.*001*of008.20150526151807..C

I tried 2 policies, 8 streams each (so, 16 jobs running), only 2 bricks
were used …
There is clearly an issue … but what and where …

Hopefully you'll have an idea.

Thx for your feedback.

Regards;

--