[Gluster-users] Locking and SQLite

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Sat May 16 09:22:34 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 08:53:19PM -0700, Jordan Willis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found this email thread from a long time ago, but can’t find anything recent about it.
>
> http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2011-September/008756.html <http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2011-September/008756.html>
>
> Is there still issues with SQLite and GlusterFS. I’m using:
>
> $glusterfsd --version
> glusterfs 3.5.2 built on Aug  6 2014 19:33:46
>
> The problem is just writing to pre existing to sql databases. For instance -
>
> ->echo "select * from test1 order by id desc limit 1;" | sqlite3 test.sqlite3
> Error: near line 1: database is locked

I do not know much about SQLite, but there is something called
"Write-Ahead Logging" (WAL) that does not work on GlusterFS. There is a
more detailed explanation here:

    https://www.sqlite.org/wal.html

    But there are also disadvantages:
    2. All processes using a database must be on the same host computer;
       WAL does not work over a network filesystem.

There are solutions to make this work. Firefox used to implemented an
option in about:config to set storage.nfs_filesystem. But, for whatever
reason, I do not see that option in Firefox 37.0.1 anymore.

It would be nice to know if a .sqlite file can be configured to disable
WAL, how to do that, and if it works on a Gluster volume afterwards.

Thanks,
Niels