[Gluster-users] ssl support?

David Roundy roundyd at physics.oregonstate.edu
Wed May 13 14:20:44 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I have only seen one bit of documentation on the existence of ssl support
in gluster:

http://blog.gluster.org/author/zbyszek/

This blog post is woefully inadequate, and the fact that a year has gone by
without any additional documentation appearing leads me to doubt that ssl
support is really existing.  Is this a feature that one can actually use
and rely on? Is there some hidden documentation, or a reason why there is
no documentation? I feel worried about potentially switching to glusterfs,
when "security" seems to be an undocumented patch, with little in the way
of help.

As an aside, I'm having trouble getting ssl to work with glusterfs on my
Debian Jessie test machine.  But before trying to fix that, I'd like to
hear if I really ought to just wait a few more years before trying
glusterfs.  I don't have a dedicated physical network, and don't care to
set up a VPN just for glusterfs, so lack of on-the-wire security and real
authentication of clients is a showstopper for me.  (Yes, I could set up a
VPN, but I always find that to be a pain.)

David