[Gluster-users] striped replicated for VMs?

Craig Yoshioka craigyk at nanoimagingservices.com
Sat Jan 31 05:15:09 UTC 2015

Quick question:

I’ve been using GlusterFS for about a year now to hold some VM images (KVM/QEMU).  My setup has been 2 replica servers, but I’m now interested in adding another two more servers to improve performance and space.

The volume is currently configured as “distributed” (of just one replica set), should I (a) change it to striped for better VM performance, and (b) If I should change it, can a distributed volume be switched to stripe and rebalanced while live?  Or should I just add another brick directory to each of the servers and create a new (striped|distributed) replica volume?

Thanks!
-Craig