[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] lockd: server not responding, timed out

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 12:37:08 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:26:53AM +0000, Peter Auyeung wrote:
> Hi Niels,
>
> The question if we keep getting the lockd error even after restart and
> rebooted the NFS client..

This particular error would only occur when the NFS-server could not
register the nlockmgr RPC-program to rpcbind/portmapper. The most likely
scenario where this fails, is where there is an NFS-client (or service)
on the storage server that conflicts with the Gluster/NFS service.

If there are conflicting RPC services in rpcbind/portmapper, you may be
able check and remove those with the 'rpcinfo' command. Ports that are
listed in te output, but are not listed in netstat/ss are in used by
kernel services (like the lockd kernel module).

In order to restore the NLM function of Gluster/NFS, you can take these
steps:

1. ensure that there are no other NFS-services (server or client)
   running on the Gluster storage server. Gluster/NFS should be the only
   service which does some NFS on the server.
2. stop the rpcbind service
3. clear the rpcbind-cache (rm /var/lib/rpcbind/portmap.xdr)
4. start the rpcbind service
5. restart the Gluster/NFS service

In case your NFS-client got connected to the incorrect NLM service on
your storage server, you would need to unmount and mount the export
again.

Niels