[Gluster-users] Confirmation of architecture

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Sat Jan 24 11:32:21 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 02:38:08PM +0000, Mark s2c wrote:

> Hello
> Just need to check something as it wasn't obvious from the admin guide.
>
> If I had 3 Gluster instances in my pool, two locally and next to each
> other (same subnet) but one somewhere miles away on the Internet, a
> write over nfs would not return until the upload has written to the
> slowest/furthest away copy which obviously would be the Internet-based
> one.

This is correct. The replication is done client-side and the client will
wait for an acknowledge from all replicas before returning the write
result to the application.

For disaster recovery scenarios like your 3rd site some miles away,
there is geo-replication. You would have two copies on the local site,
and geo-replication can then take care of the (async) replication to
remote locations.

HTH,
Niels