[Gluster-users] Asymmetric gluster for KVM usage

Daniel Dehennin daniel.dehennin at baby-gnu.org
Sun Jan 18 17:02:54 UTC 2015

Hello,

I have a NAS box used by two KVM hypervisors[1] over NFS.

The NAS box has two Gigabit ethernet and several TB of storage.

The two hypervisors have their OS on SSD and a local 500GB 10k SATA
drive.

As we had performance issues, our setup creates a new qcow2 image on the
local disk using the “backing store” option pointing to the qcow2 image
stored on NFS.

I'm wondering if gluster could not have better performances than NFS and
if there is a possibility to use the local 10k SATA disk as some kind of
cache.

I see 3.6 has heterogeneous bricks size support[2], but is there a way
to have at least a copy of all the qcow2 images on my NAS box and using
the local disk to improve performance?

Regards.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://opennebula.org/

[2]  https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/release-3.6/doc/release-notes/3.6.0.md#better-support-for-bricks-with-heterogeneous-sizes

--
Daniel Dehennin
Récupérer ma clef GPG: gpg --recv-keys 0xCC1E9E5B7A6FE2DF