[Gluster-users] When will 3.6 be considered stable?

Anders Blomdell anders.blomdell at control.lth.se
Fri Feb 27 10:10:19 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-26 22:24, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 26 Feb 2015, at 18:39, Kingsley <gluster at gluster.dogwind.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2015-02-24 at 23:27 +0200, aytac zeren wrote:
>>> 3.6.2 is a major release and introduces some new features in cluster
>>> wide concept. Additionally it is not stable yet.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When will 3.6 be considered stable? I'm waiting to deploy a cluster into
>> a production environment. I've built a 3.6.2 cluster and have put a live
>> copy of the data onto it, which took rsync a solid 2 weeks to do.
Isn't rsync about the worst to do in order to populate a gluster volume? Wouldn't
it help to have multiple threads copying files in order not to have to wait for
stat-calls to propagate back and forth between client and server(s)?

>> I don't really want to go through that again if I can help it.
>
> We thought it was - including getting tested by a some places fairly
> intensively before - until bugs started showing up when people deployed
> it to production.
>
> We're actively working on a 3.6.3 release, fixing the reported bugs,
> and should have a beta out in the near-ish future.  (3.6.3beta1 came
> out on 11th Feb, we're still working on a few more patches)
>
> And yeah, not great. :/
Ah, so I'm not the only one that experienced problems, perhaps time to
try to deploy gluster once more.

Is ext4 still a problem, or is that particular issue fixed (entries occuring
multiple times might indicate that it's not, but the true reason for that behaviour
when I tested still eludes me [due to lacking understanding of the internals]).

/Anders

Anders Blomdell                  Email: anders.blomdell at control.lth.se
Department of Automatic Control
Lund University                  Phone:    +46 46 222 4625
P.O. Box 118                     Fax:      +46 46 138118
SE-221 00 Lund, Sweden