[Gluster-users] Question about formatting of Gluster bricks.

Viktor Villafuerte viktor.villafuerte at optusnet.com.au
Wed Feb 18 22:25:30 UTC 2015

Hi,

XFS is recommended but not 100% necessary. However there are some known
bugs with Gluster + eg ext4. I learnt that the hard way :)

Gluster needs bricks and bricks need to have size. In replicated setup
it is recommended (very recommended) to have bricks of same size. That
is those that replicate each other (replica 2).

I don't think there is a way how to setup Gluster without bricks.

On Wed 18 Feb 2015 13:43:53, Ernie Dunbar wrote:

> Bump!
>
> On 2015-02-16 16:19, Ernie Dunbar wrote:
>
> > Hi list.
> >
> > I've searched around and I've found that nobody seems to have asked this question before. Is it 100% necessary to have Gluster bricks that are formatted with XFS, and is it also 100% necessary that it needs to be its own partition and/or drive?
> >
> > If it does, I think there needs to be something mentioned about this at http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Getting_started_setup_baremetal [2]. If not, I wonder at why there's such an insistence on doing so at http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Getting_started_configure [3] and at http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Getting_started_rrqsg [4].
> >
> > Also, if this is indeed 100% necessary, then I have to go back and reinstall Ubuntu on these servers. Again.

> Links:
> ------
> [2]
> http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Getting_started_setup_baremetal