[Gluster-users] Gluster performance on the small files

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Mon Feb 16 20:32:31 UTC 2015

On 02/12/2015 10:58 PM, Punit Dambiwal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have seen the gluster performance is dead slow on the small
> files...even i am using the SSD....it's too bad performance....even i
> am getting better performance in my SAN with normal SATA disk...
>
> I am using distributed replicated glusterfs with replica count=2...i
> have all SSD disks on the brick...
>
> root at vm3:~# dd bs=64k count=4k if=/dev/zero of=test oflag=dsync
>
> 4096+0 records in
>
> 4096+0 records out
>
> 268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 57.3145 s, 4.7 MB/s
>

> root at vm3:~# dd bs=64k count=4k if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync
>
> 4096+0 records in
>
> 4096+0 records out
>
> 268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 1.80093 s, 149 MB/s

How small is your VM image? The image is the file that GlusterFS is
serving, not the small files within it. Perhaps the filesystem you're
using within your VM is inefficient with regard to how it handles disk
writes.

I believe your concept of "small file" performance is misunderstood, as
is often the case with this phrase. The "small file" issue has to do
with the overhead of finding and checking the validity of any file, but
with a small file the percentage of time doing those checks is
proportionally greater. With your VM image, that file is already open.
There are no self-heal checks or lookups that are happening in your
tests, so that overhead is not the problem.