[Gluster-users] Restarting glusterfs-server kills all userland processes

Micheal Jones micheal.jones at cybera.ca
Tue Feb 10 23:37:22 UTC 2015

A couple weeks ago while upgrading from 3.4 to 3.5 our 12 node cluster
(brick on each node - replicated in pairs) one of the nodes spontaneously
killed all userland processes either when I ran service glusterfs-server
restart or the gluster volume status command immediately after it. (It was
pasted as a one liner).

Today, I had the need to restart glusterfsd on a different node and so had
killed glusterfsd and restarted glusterfs-server as a precaution caused the
exact same issue - all user land processes were killed (including my ssh
connection).

Has anyone else experience a similar issue or can point to anything to look
at to figure out the cause?

At present nothing stands out in the logs themselves - glustershd.log
records up to the event happening and then nothing. Other logs for the
bricks and volumes look normal and only show one startup of when I did log
back in and restart the services that had been killed.

System logs don't have any traces - just the notices that services are
starting back up (eg. rsyslogd)

Servers: Ubuntu 14.04 using the GlusterFS ppa:

Volume Name: volumes
Type: Distributed-Replicate
Volume ID: 4dbcd901-af7a-437b-90c7-6b45def03748
Number of Bricks: 6 x 2 = 12
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: yyc-c01:/openstack_zfs/volumes/gluster
Brick2: yyc-c02:/openstack_zfs/volumes/gluster
Brick3: yyc-c03:/openstack_zfs/volumes/gluster
Brick4: yyc-c04:/openstack_zfs/volumes/gluster
Brick5: yyc-c05:/openstack_zfs/volumes/gluster
Brick6: yyc-c06:/openstack_zfs/volumes/gluster
Brick7: yyc-c07:/openstack_zfs/volumes/gluster
Brick8: yyc-c08:/openstack_zfs/volumes/gluster
Brick9: yyc-c09:/openstack_zfs/volumes/gluster
Brick10: yyc-c10:/openstack_zfs/volumes/gluster
Brick11: yyc-c11:/openstack_zfs/volumes/gluster
Brick12: yyc-c12:/openstack_zfs/volumes/gluster

Thanks,

-- Micheal