[Gluster-users] Guideline for Gluster hardware

ML mail mlnospam at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 15:32:18 UTC 2015

Hello,

I am currently testing GlustserFS and could not find any guidelines or even rules of thumb on what kind of minimal hardware requirements for a bare metal node.

My setup would be to start with two Gluster nodes using replication for HA. For that I have two 4U SuperMicro storage servers with 36 disks of 6 TB. The server itself has 32 GB of DDR4 RAM but only one single CPU (6 Core Intel E5-2620 v3 @ 2.4 GHz). Now doing some tests with a single client mounting a glusterfs volume with FUSE I could already see in top that the glusterfsd process on the server uses ~30% of CPU. I have the feeling that GlusterFS might be CPU intensive. At the end I should have around 10 clients.

Does anyone have any recommendations here?

Regards
ML