[Gluster-users] striped replicated for VMs?

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 07:36:29 UTC 2015

On 01/31/2015 10:45 AM, Craig Yoshioka wrote:
> Quick question:
>
> I’ve been using GlusterFS for about a year now to hold some VM images (KVM/QEMU).  My setup has been 2 replica servers, but I’m now interested in adding another two more servers to improve performance and space.
>
> The volume is currently configured as “distributed” (of just one replica set), should I (a) change it to striped for better VM performance, and (b) If I should change it, can a distributed volume be switched to stripe and rebalanced while live?  Or should I just add another brick directory to each of the servers and create a new (striped|distributed) replica volume?
Striped volumes are not in use very widely. There is a feature called
sharding that is planned for 4.0 which should meet the need you are
asking for. We are trying to pull this off for 3.7 itself.
You can find more details about it at:
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/sharding-xlator

Pranith