[Gluster-users] how to shrink client translator

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Mon Feb 2 19:59:04 UTC 2015

> >gluster volume set <volname> open-behind off turns off this xlator in
> >the client stack. There is no way to turn off debug/io-stats. Any reason
> >why you would like to turn off io-stats translator?
>
> For improving efficiency.

It might not be a very fruitful kind of optimization.  Repeating an
experiment someone else had done a while ago, I just ran an experiment to
compare a normal client volfile vs. one with a *hundred* extra do-nothing
translators added.  There was no statistically significant difference,
even on a fairly capable SSD-equipped system.  I/O latency variation and
other general measurement noise still far outweigh the cost of a few extra
function calls to invoke translators that aren't doing any I/O themselves.

> Is there any command to show the current translator tree after dynamic adding
> or deletting any xlator?

The new graph should show up in the logs.  Also, you can always use "gluster
system getspec xxx" to get the current client volfile for any volume xxx.