[Gluster-users] Can I share with GLusterFS a volume created from two mounted i-SCSI bricks?

Gmail b.s.mikhael at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 16:44:20 UTC 2015

find the answers inline.

— Bishoy

> On Dec 4, 2015, at 6:54 AM, Mountrakis, Michael <michael.mountrakis at sap.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all
>
> The scenario that I am thinking to implement has as follows:
>
> Mount a volume locally to my Node1  as i-scsi:
> mybox1# iscsiadm -m node --targetname "rot1:newvolume.1" --portal "192.168.0.1:3260" --login
> .. format and make file system...
> mybox1# mount  /dev/sdb1 /data  -t ext4
>
> Mount another volume locally to my Node2  as i-scsi:
> mybox2# iscsiadm -m node --targetname "rot2:newvolume.1" --portal "192.164.0.1:3260" --login
> .. format and make file system...
> mybox2# mount  /dev/sdb1 /data  -t ext4
>
> I do the peering between node1/node2:
> root@ mybox1:~ # gluster peer probe mybox2.mydomain
>
> Try to create a glusterFS volume from those mounts:
> Will the following work?
> root@ mybox1:~ # gluster volume create mydata replica 2 mybox1.mydomain:/data mybox2.mydomain:/data force
>
> In other words:
> Can I create and share a glusterFS volume from a couple of mounted iSCSI bricks?
yes you can, but the problem you might have is that when the iSCSI sessions get broken then reestablished they will be mapped with a different name (if it was /dev/sdb to might get mapped to /dev/sde or any other letter) it’s better to use ZFS with iSCSI as ZFS handles Linux device mapper mapping of the drives better than XFS.