[Gluster-users] GlusterFS cache architecture

Oleksandr Natalenko oleksandr at natalenko.name
Tue Aug 25 11:47:47 UTC 2015

Hello.

I'm trying to investigate how GlusterFS manages cache on both server and
client side, but unfortunately cannot find any exhaustive, appropriate
and up
to date information.

The disposition is that we have, saying, 2 GlusterFS nodes (server_a and
server_b) with replicated volume some_volume. Also we have several
clients
(saying client_1 and client_2) that mount some_volume and do some
manipulation
with files on it (lets assume some_volume contains web-related assets,
and
client_1/client_2 are web-servers). Also there is client_3 that does
web-
related deploying on some_volume (lets assume that client_3 is
web-developer).

We would like to use multilayered cache scheme that involves filesystem
cache
(on both client/server sides) as well as web server cache.

So, my questions are:

1) does caching-related items (performance.cache-size,
performance.cache-min-
file-size, performance.cache-max-file-size etc.) affect server side
only?
2) are there any tunables that affect client side caching?
3) how client-side caching (we are talking about read cache only, write
cache
is not interesting to us) is performed (if it is at all)?
4) how and in what cases client cache is discarded (and how that relates
upcall framework)?

Ideally, there should be some documentation that covers general
GlusterFS
cache workflow.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

--