[Gluster-users] How to partition directory structur for 300K files?

Merlin Morgenstern merlin.morgenstern at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 13:20:04 UTC 2015

I am running into trouble while syncing (rsync, cp ... ) my files to
glusterfs. After about 50K files, one machine dies and has to be rebooted.

As there are about 300K files in one directory, I am thinking about to
cluster that in a directory structure in order to overcome that problem.

e.g. /0001/filename /0002/filename

That would cut down the amount of files in one directory. However this is
something I would like to avoid if possible due to SEO - changing the url
of the file brings a lot of trouble.

The system underneith are 2 seperate VM instances, each running ubuntu
14.04. Cluster NFS client on same machine as Gluster server. Macbook Pro 13
retina with capable SSD and 1G internal network between the VMs.

Thank you for any help on this.