[Gluster-users] Need help making a decision choosing MS DFS or Gluster+SAMBA+CTDB

Mathieu Chateau mathieu.chateau at lotp.fr
Mon Aug 10 05:23:32 UTC 2015

Hello,

Yes it's much like a standard Windows File servers. You will only monitor
DFS-R replication through nagios or so, to check backlog/latency in
replication.

For performance, it's all about what you do with a standard Windows file
server anyway:

   - Check raid controller settings
   - NTFS formatted in 64K, not the 4K default,
   - Defrag since the beginning through the Windows one (scheduled). O&O
   can be a great invest for that if 1 volume go much beyond than 2M files
   - Setup antivirus to only do realtime check on file change, not on
   access. Exclude DFS database from antivirus scan
   - Tune network card (send and receive buffer)
   - ...

Start with 2012 R2, to get SMB v3 and all latest stuff

Cordialement,
Mathieu CHATEAU
http://www.lotp.fr